The Manmade Toolbox is a set of cards for creating conversations with boys from age 13, and men of any age. It helps men and boys tell their story through a set of 87 cards divided into 6 suits: My Stuff Body Stuff Head Stuff Relationship Stuff Big stuff Future Stuff “We men love to talk, but it needs help to get started. These Manmade cards will kick things along and they will lead to brilliant sharing. Exactly what boys and men need to have”. Steve Biddulph, author ‘Raising Boys’ and ‘The New Manhood’.
The cards have been designed to begin with an opening question on the coloured side. Deeper questions expanding the topic then follow overleaf.
The cards may be selected randomly from the complete set or from a particular suit, or the choice may be more deliberate, selecting a specific card.
You might choose to spread all of the cards, or just one suit, out on a surface for easier viewing.
It is recommended that 'the questioner' keeps hold of the card and asks each question one by one. They may, however, consider sharing their response to each question too.
Some tips for using the cards:
1. At the beginning of a session inform the participants of their right to pass if feeling unsafe.
2. When selecting each card be mindful of who the conversation is with and the appropriateness of the questions.
3. Establish a confidentiality agreement.
4. Allow time and space for the question to be answered without interruption or judgement.
5. Consider gently inviting some deeper sharing when given yes/no answers. Phrases such as "Tell me more about...", "Is there anything else?", "What's that all about?" might help.